Botanic gardens celebrates Meadow planting with designer, dignitaries


The Delaware Botanical Gardens held a ‘Sip & Saunter’ event on Friday, May 4. Right, DBG designer Piet Oudolf goes over the garden’s plans during the event.

Coastal Point • Tyler Valliant

On May 3-4, internationally renowned Dutch garden designer Piet Oudolf landed near Dagsboro, at the new Delaware Botanic Gardens (DBG). He was in Delaware to supervise the gardens’ 100 volunteers planting nearly 18,000 new native perennials in the 2-acre Meadow Garden. The planting took two days and added to the 17,000 native perennials planted last September.

To mark the occasion, a Sip & Saunter celebration for garden supporters and volunteers was held on Friday, May 4. The celebration was the first public onsite event. Attending the celebration were state and local officials, including U.S. Sen. Tom Carper and state Rep. Ron Gray. Standing in the center of the meadow, Gray presented Oudolf with a tribute proclamation from the Delaware House of Representatives.

The tribute said, “Be it hereby known to all that the House of Representatives acknowledges Piet Oudolf, designer of the Meadows at the Delaware Botanic Gardens … for creating a magnificent two-acre Meadow at the Delaware Botanic Gardens. Because of his commitment to the importance of native species for the overall health of Delawareans, this design consists of more than 65,000 herbaceous flowering plants and grasses, that include 85 percent of native species and the remaining 15 percent are pollinator compatible exotics.

“We commend Mr. Oudolf for his creative genius and his leadership in demonstrating the vital importance and beauty of native species. His Meadow at Delaware Botanic Gardens will be a major attraction to the citizens of our state as well as contribute to Delaware’s quality of life and economic vitality. The House of Representatives extends its sincere appreciation…”

DBG President Ray Sander said, “The 2-acre Meadow Garden, designed by Piet Oudolf, is the jewel in the crown of DBG. When completely planted in June 2018, this garden will have 70,000 perennials and grasses. We are thankful that Piet took the time to be with our garden friends, sponsors and volunteers, who are making the garden, come to life. While we are still building, our gardens will begin to be open to the public sometime in 2019.”

The mission of the Gardens is to create an inspirational, educational, and sustainable public garden in Delaware for the benefit and enjoyment of all. The Delaware Botanic Gardens will celebrate the coastal plain with a sustainable garden designed to delight and educate visitors and inspire them to preserve Delmarva’s native landscape.

For further information on the Delaware Botanic Gardens, go to www.delawaregardens.org.