Registration is open now for fall classes at the University of Delaware’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institutes (OLLI), with classes scheduled for Sept. 4 to Nov. 19 in Dover, Lewes and Ocean View.
Nicknamed “OLLI,” the University of Delaware’s lifelong learning programs are membership-based organizations structured as learning cooperatives for adults 50 or older to take and teach classes together with no grades, exams or educational prerequisites.
New to the OLLI programs in Kent and Sussex counties this year is the flexibility for participants to sign up for an unlimited number of classes at any of the programs’ locations in Dover, Lewes or Ocean View.
This fall, the more than 160 course offerings and activities include:
· Dover — Computer Users’ Workshop, Fraud Issues for Seniors, Hamilton: The Man and the Musical, History of the Texas Rangers, Appreciating Museum Art;
· Lewes — Delaware Inland Bays, Elder Law, Hollywood Italians, Investing Workshop, Memoir Writing, Songs from Broadway Musicals, Tree Identification;
· Ocean View — Art of the Ancient World, Cybersecurity & How to Protect Yourself, Genealogy Workshop, Mah Jongg, Media & Public Opinion, Medicare Options in Retirement.
Participation in UD’s OLLI programs totals nearly 4,000 members statewide, hailing from different educational backgrounds and all walks of life, attending from all parts of Delaware, as well as Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland. Across all locations, members participated in more than 900 classes offered in fall, spring and summer sessions last year.
OLLI Dover classes are held at Wyoming Church, 216 Wyoming Road; Lewes classes at the Fred Thomas Building, 520 Dupont Avenue; and Ocean View classes at Ocean View Town Hall & Community Center, 32 West Avenue.
For one $175 membership fee, participants can become OLLI members for the entire fall semester and can sign up for unlimited courses at all three locations. The membership fee for the fall and spring semesters combined is $260. Pre-registration is available through Aug. 16, with many courses still available through the second week of September. Prospective members can visit the programs and register on the same day if they wish, at an upcoming open house:
· July 23 — OLLI Dover Open House, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Wyoming Church, 216 Wyoming Rd.
· July 24-25 — OLLI Lewes Open House, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Fred Thomas Building, 520 Dupont Ave.
During all semesters, OLLI gift certificates are available for purchase as gifts for retirements, birthdays, anniversaries and holidays. For details, call (302) 645-4111, write to LLL-Lewes@udel.edu or visit http://www.olli.udel.edu/gift-certificate/.
OLLI volunteer instructors share their knowledge and passions by teaching courses in their areas of expertise. Prospective volunteer instructors are being invited to submit course proposals by calling (302) 645-4111 or visiting http://www.olli.udel.edu/lewes/instructors/.