C. Elwood Johnson, 93, of Ocean View, Del., and Titusville, Fla., and formerly of New Castle, Del., passed away peacefully, surrounded by his family, on Nov. 1, 2018. He was born on Nov. 16, 1924, to Bob Johnson and Amy (Gray) Johnson, in Lincoln University, Pa.
Johnson attended the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg in 1938, where he witnessed Franklin Delano Roosevelt light the eternal flame. As a young man, Johnson worked as a fast-order cook on the boardwalk in Ocean City, Md. Upon his graduation in 1942 from Oxford High School, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy, serving onboard the hospital ship U.S.S. Relief and the minesweeper U.S.S. YMS 260 as a pharmacist’s mate first-class in the South Pacific during World War II.
After his military service, Johnson spent his career as a purchasing agent for General Motors’ Boxwood Road Plant in Wilmington, Del. He also made time to operate Hindsight Antiques with his mother.
In New Castle, he was a lifetime member and past commander of American Legion Joseph E. Stahl Memorial Post 30. He was also a member of VFW Mason Dixon Post 7234 in Ocean View. During his time wintering in Titusville, he enjoyed his family and friends, crossword puzzles, fishing, shuffleboard, antiquing and jewelrymaking.
Johnson was preceded in death by his parents, Bob and Amy; a sister, Doris Lawrence; a son, Robert; and his loving wife of 63 years, Gaylen R. Johnson. He is survived by his children Jo Anna and Bob Higgins of Newark, Del., Philip of Ocean View, and David and Debbie of Middletown, Del.; five grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.
The family offered a very special thanks to dear friend Jane Donivan for her help during this difficult time, and to St. Francis Hospice for the Veteran Pinning Ceremony.
A service for Johnson and his wife, Gaylen, will be held on Thursday, Dec. 6, 2018, at 2 p.m. at the Delaware Veterans Memorial Cemetery 26669 Patriots Way, Millsboro, Del. In lieu of flowers, the family requested memorial donations to the Delaware Veterans Home; 100 Delaware Veterans Blvd.; Milford, DE 19963.