The Friends of the South Coastal Library (FOSCL) are looking for applicants for its Board of Directors. The group is inviting applicants and nominations for a three-year term of service in support of the community library.
FOSCL is a non-profit, all-volunteer fundraising organization founded in 1988 to build a library for coastal Sussex County. FOSCL raised money to build the existing library on Kent Avenue in 1994 and in 2006 embarked on a capital campaign raising more than $2 million in three years to expand the library to its current size.
“FOSCL is dedicated to providing support for the services and resources of the library. We believe an excellent library is a community asset that reinforces learning and provides access to a diverse range of information, thought, and opinion for all.”
Among ongoing FOSCL goals are to:
• Enhance library services beyond what would be possible with only Sussex County funding
• Raise money for: adult and children’s programs, and exhibits; children’s school programs; special library book collections; essential technology, including copy equipment, computer equipment and electronics charging station; furniture; property landscaping and care.
• Provide education about library programs and services through: the FOSCL newsletter, The Connection; local publications; the website at www.FOSCL.com.
• Coordinate the annual Beach & Bay Cottage Tour, its largest annual fundraiser, to be held July 24 and 25 this year.
• The Summer Book Sale, coming in August 2019 for three days, Aug. 8-10. (Donations of gently used or new books, DVDs and CDs are now being accepted at the South Coastal Library.)
• Other fundraising efforts throughout the year.
“Do you share our value that a modern, comfortable library facility, coupled with the latest tools of the information age, is a vital resource to our community? If so, the FOSCL Board is looking for two or three new board members for the term that starts in September to help us contribute to that goal,” they said.
Board members serve for a three-year term (2019-2022) and may elect to continue for a second term. Meetings are held seven times a year, on the last Tuesday of the month. For more information or to be considered, send an email to the nominating chairperson, Barb Calkins, at Calkins.Barb@gmail.com.