Those happy bursts of daffodils and forsythia can only mean one thing: Spring has finally arrived, and with it, a bumper crop of Easter egg hunts and related activities. We have gathered them up into one festive basket — so get the kids, grab your favorite egg container and have some fun. No cheating!
• Saturday, April 6:
◦ Lower Sussex Community Easter Egg Hunt — A kid-friendly egg hunt will be held from 10 a.m. to noon on Saturday, April 6, at the Lower Sussex Little League Complex, 29773 Armory Road, Dagsboro. The egg hunt, featuring more than 10,000 eggs, will begin at 11 a.m.; the event will also include face-painting, crafts, activities, refreshments and pictures with the Easter Bunny.
The event is sponsored by The River church, Lower Sussex Little League, the Selbyville Public Library, The Odyssey church, Peninsula Community Church and High Tide Church. Participants are being advised that photographs and video will be captured during the event, for promotional purposes.
• Saturday, April 13:
◦ 48th Annual Betty Madara Easter Egg Hunt — Join the fun at Salem United Methodist Church on Saturday, April 13, from noon to 2 p.m. for egg-decorating, games and a “photo hop” with the Easter Bunny. The egg hunt starts at 1:30 p.m. The event will be held rain or shine.
◦ Envision Frankford’s Fourth Annual Egg Scramble — Come to the Frankford Town Park on Saturday, April 13, to see the Easter Bunny, do some fun crafts and, of course, participate in the egg hunt. Parents or guardians are being asked to stop by the registration table to get a wrist band for each child’s age group.
Gates open at 12:30 p.m., and egg hunts will be conducted for different age groups at different times: 1:15 p.m., teens and those with special needs; 1:30 p.m., infants to 2 years; 1:50 p.m., 3 to 5 years; 2:10 p.m., 6 to 8 years; and 2:30 p.m., 9 to 12 years.
Prizes will be awarded for special eggs. Food vendors will include Hocker’s BBQ, Hay Wagon Produce and Rita’s Italian Ice.
◦ Mermaid Galley Easter Egg Hunt — The new food spot in Millville is holding an Easter egg hunt for the community on Saturday, April 13. The egg hunt will be for children in various age categories up to 12 years old. The egg hunt starts promptly at 11 a.m., followed by games and crafts. The egg hunt is free; crafts cost $5 per child. The rain date will be Sunday, April 14, at 11 a. m. Mermaid Galley is located at 35308 Atlantic Avenue in Millville.
• Sunday, April 14
◦ Children’s Easter Party — The Mason-Dixon VFW Post 7234 will host this free event from 2 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, April 14, featuring games, door prizes, food, gifts and eggs for every child. No hunting is required at the VFW’s annual Easter party, where children also have an opportunity to meet Cottontail.
• Saturday, April 20
◦ Family Easter Celebration — Mariner’s Bethel United Methodist Church in Ocean View will host a morning of crafts, games, interactive stories, snacks and an age-divided egg hunt. The event will be from 10 a.m. to noon on Saturday, April 20. Mariner’s Bethel is located at 81 Central Avenue, Ocean View.
◦ Brunch with the Easter Bunny — A free event at the Gumboro Community Center, the brunch starts at 9 a.m. Saturday, April 20, and includes doughnuts, muffins, fruit, juice and cocoa. The egg hunt begins at 11 a.m.; there will be games and prizes. Donations are welcome. The Gumboro Community Center is located at 36849 Millsboro Highway, Gumboro.
◦ Easter Egg Hunt — The Inland Bays Garden Center is hosting an Easter egg hunt from 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday, April 20. There will be Easter crafts, prizes and games, and maybe even a visit from the Easter Bunny. Eggs will be hidden throughout the garden center. The Inland Bays Garden Center is located at 38320 Muddy Neck Road, Frankford.
By Kerin Magill