DNREC holding Delaware Watersheds Photo Contest
DNREC’s Division of Watershed Stewardship is inviting photographers of all ages and skill levels to participate in this year’s Delaware Watersheds Photo Contest. Officials said the contest aims to share the beauty of Delaware’s diverse environment while acting as a vivid reminder that everything that happens on land within the state’s watersheds also directly affects what’s happening in our waterways.
A watershed is all of the land that water moves across or under while flowing to a specific body of water. Images from any of Delaware’s watersheds will be accepted. Contest judges will be looking for striking photographic images of Delaware’s waterways, landscapes, native plants and animals, and agricultural practices.
All entries must be submitted by Sunday, June 2. Contest judges from within DNREC will choose entries that move on to the next stage of the contest — online public voting — which will determine the finalists and winners in each category. Photos by contest winners will be on display at the 2019 Delaware State Fair and voted on by fairgoers to determine the overall “Best in Show.”
The first-place winners of each of five contest categories will receive a Delaware State Park pass for 2020. The first-, second- and third-place winners of each category will be recognized during the annual DNREC Awards ceremony on Governor’s Day at the Delaware State Fair, and the “Best in Show” will be featured in Outdoor Delaware magazine.
To enter the Delaware Watersheds Photo Contest, participants should fill out the online submission form, which includes providing a description with the entrant’s name, phone number, address, email address, the location the image was taken, the category the photograph is being entered in and, if submitting a photograph in the Native Wildlife or Native Plant category, the name of the species in the photograph.
Images must be at least 1,650 by 2,100 pixels in resolution (but no larger than 10MB), and the digital image must be submitted in .jpeg or .png format. Only photos that meet the criteria and are submitted along with a completed form will be eligible.
Contestants may enter photographs in all or any of the five categories, but photographers can only win one place per category. For those who submit more than one photo per category, that individual photographer’s photograph with the most votes will be their final submission for that category. A completed submission form must accompany each photograph entered.
The categories and criteria on submitting photos for them are:
• Natural Landscapes of Delaware — Photographs of the scenic visible features of Delaware’s countryside or land.
• Waterscapes of Delaware — Photographs of any water bodies, such as streams, rivers, lakes, creeks, estuaries, bay, ocean, etc.
• Native Wildlife of Delaware — Entries in this category may only include photographs of native mammals, birds, fish, insects, reptiles and amphibians of Delaware. Photographs of domesticated animals are not eligible in this category. When submitting in this category, include the name of the species appearing in the photo in the application form.
• Native Plants of Delaware — Photographs of Delaware native plants in any setting. When submitting in this category, include the name of the species in the application form. No wildlife are permitted in this category, native plants only.
• Agriculture in Delaware — Photographs of the practice of farming, including but not limited to the cultivation of soil for growing crops and rearing animals for food, wool and other products.
Rules and the submission form are available on the Division of Watershed Stewardship website at http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/swc/district/PublishingImages/NPS/Rules%20.... Questions can be emailed to email@example.com.